Monday, August 15, 2011

Living on A Food Stamp Budget Day 11

Busy busy day. I will save some of the details for the Huffington Post. I began my diary this morning as a food informant.

I begin my day with 3.29.
I made dirty rice for breakfast, a whole lot of seasoning the chicken I had picked from the bones and rice. It cost .92 to make but I ate only half.
Dirty Rice .46
Coffee .30
Total .76

I ate a portion of the soba noodles with peanut sauce before leaving the house. Cheap lunch .29.

I came home from an interview with SF Foodie and a gym trip HUNGRY. I had a can of cream of chicken soup left on my doorstep with a note. This item is always in stock at the local food pantry, not surprising as it is the kind of thing people would donate. I am asked to work with it and come up with a recipe. For my Asian neighbor I knew Tuna noodle casserole would not do. It was soup so I made soup...a congee lite.

Leftover dirty rice .46
Stock from yesterday .40
Chard from the garden .10
Total for the pot .96.

Per cup that came to .19
I had 3 cups.
Total .57

And onto dinner I took 3 ounces of the Halal beef some broccoli, some pea shoots and rice.
Meat .72
Broccoli .88
Rice .15
Pea shoot .09
Total 1.84

The beef was some of the best I have had and the meal came together beautifully. I am afraid of what my day total will be.
Total 3.46

I reduced my deficit down to .17. I will make it. I have to say that this meal made me feel really good.

My calories came in at 1,573 with about half of them from the rice. I had a lot of rice today. But so what, it is calories that make you fat not carbohydrates. Trust me when I tell you at this calorie level I am not carrying extra weight around.

I am happy that I have a muti-vitamin to take every day along with extra C. Without that I am not sure my energy would be as high as it is.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I love, more than the food and the recipes are the details when you share. The stories are as important as the food.

Jackie Kettner said...

Hello, I have been reading you "Living on a Food Stamp budget" for research for this newsletter we are starting for our local Circles group and I just read about your asian neighbor leaving that can of cream of chicken soup on your doorstep. This reminded me of a wonderful egg foo young gravy recipe which uses cream of mushroom soup and two tablespoons of soy sauce. I bet thats a cheap meal. Celery, onions, bean sprouts, eggs, can of soup and soy sauce.

Livin lean in Sandpoint, Idaho
Jax