Saturday, July 16, 2011

Living on a Food Stamp budget Day 16

I made a fruit salad. I have 5.50 to play with and that is a lot of food.

I used half of yesterday's banana .10
An apricot .34
A huge Nectarine .50
With coffee I ate half of it.
Coffee .25
Fruit .47
Breakfast total .73

And like a log I sat. I finally realized I needed to eat more and get some salt. Two cups of yesterday's soup followed. .46

And for lunch a turkey sandwich.
Turkey 1.00
Half tomato .10
Pita bread .10

Lunch total 1.20

My energy is not great today but I got a workout in. After the gym I had a snack of peanut butter and crackers. .46

I am being taken out to dinner for my birthday which was now a week ago. I don't celebrate birthdays but it is hard to keep others from marking it.

I had too much to eat for this second celebration. The bread was my downfall. Delfina serves this most wonderful country loaf and I had 6 slices, some with butter and some with my fresh, marinated anchovies, served with a few greens and a radish.

This was followed by an onglet, my favorite cut of beef, wonderfully red in the center with a demi glace' and yes fries.

And wine, did I mention I had a glass of wine?

While I really need to permanently end my relationship to sugar I also had a small scoop of sour cherry ice cream and half of a small flourless chocolate cake.

For anyone who thinks I have had too few calories I had 2,874 today. Even though we ate early there is no way I will have a snack tonight. I had enough protein and Iron for 3 days today.

I carry over 2.65

6 comments:

Yanon Soume said...

Hello my brother from another mother. I am very touched by your commitment to this pledge.

There is hunger worldwide and the Americans have no custom of sharing or hospitality so it is most important to take action where you are.

When I read the news it seems more bleak than ever. Republicans have become the party of hate, Christianity in their eyes is the religion of hate. More and more people want to separate themselves and hate others for their misfortune.

You are beginning the party of love. I know it is not a party of one.

Anonymous said...

Luke 14:12-14 He said also to the one who had invited him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Anonymous said...

I know you are a Muslim but you are more Christian than you think you are.

Luke 14:12-14 He said also to the one who had invited him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Anonymous said...

You should not allow either religious or political comments. Neither are ever discussed in polite company.

Elaine said...

@Yanon Soume - you are right to be touched, but misguided and wrong in your other comments. Americans have very strong customs of hospitality - big government has been breaking down those customs and they should indeed be restored.

Republicans are not the party of hate. Actually, they give more than their brethren in other parties. From Syracuse University: "-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood." And there's lots more!

I am Karl's older sister [thus always right :-) ] and a Republican activist. I still think and am perfectly willing to cross party lines when it makes sense. The young woman I refer to as my daughter is that because I love her like a mother. In truth she was homeless and I took her into my home and am helping her learn to be a productive adult. And feeding her!

@Anonymous #2 - Both topics are frequently discussed in polite company. It's a matter of being polite, having a little humor, and being willing to listen.

Karl said...

I disagree. Both Religion and Politics should be discussed and on a regular basis. One can only learn, grow and understand other by having such discourse.

I am not sure where the poster who said I was a Muslim got that notion. I have never made any form of religious declaration on this forum.