Thursday, July 14, 2011

Living on a Food Stamp Budget Day 14

I begin the day with 5.43 and the day is Bastille Day.


When it comes to food I have always gone to the French classics and today I always make a special dish.

I had decided that the most economical would be to make a Provencal tart with olives, onions and anchovies. But I had no anchovies so I did without. Last night while I had the turkey bones simmering I made a pastry crust.

I made more crust than I needed so this morning I pinched off a bit, rolled it out and stuffed it with cheese calzone style. It truly tasted like and resembled an empanada when baked. That and the last quarter of a pomegranate comprised my breakfast.

Coffee .25
Last 1/4 of the pomegranate .50
Cheese empanada .40

Total 1.15

At lunch I had the last of the too expensive but very delicious baguettes with Turkey.

Baguette .60
Turkey 1.00
Iced Tea .03
Total 1.63

For dinner I contributed the olive and onion tart, big green salad from the garden and snow peas from the garden.
Tart 1.19
Salad and peas .10
Total 1.29

Now my friend also had pork, corn,(organic, I won't eat GMO corn) Brussels sprouts, and some wine so we feasted. He then drug out chocolate ice cream with sauce. This is the second time this month I have had ice cream and it had been YEARS prior to this.

Calories 1,832 and a reasonably nutritious day. I have had several e mails of concern telling me that my carb and protein balance is way off. I just did a two week summary and I am getting more than enough protein and only 38% of my calories have come from carbohydrate sources.

Carry over 1.36

No comments: