Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Diabetic Challenge balancing calories and nutrition

As I have progressed I am meeting my fiber and nutrition needs more, but my caloric needs are suffering.


I must begin eating more food.

Today I made a good stab at it with a great breakfast.

Coffee and milk with a pear and some cheese, followed by more of the Tuna dish and 5 Ak Mak crackers. I got my 60 grams of carb and about 600 calories which is good for breakfast.

Lunch was light but delicious. I had a small apple with peanut butter and a nice bowl of chicken noodle soup 42 grams of carb.

I did have my snack as I am supposed to. A nice cup of tomato soup with sausage. A small cup of tomato soup with sausage (I made it to use up the sausage from my Sunday Breakfast crackers)Just under 15 grams of carb.

57 grams of carb at dinner. And what a meal it was. I took the tuna and finely chopped it. I tossed it in the wok with some soba noodles, poke greens, added some peanuts and basil and had a feast.
Illustration

(A note about Soba; read the labels, many mix the buckwheat with other flours and the carb and calories can vary wildly from brand to brand. )

I gave my noodle bowl a nice drizzle of olive oil to bump up the calores and had it with wine and later a small bite of dark chocolate.


Plus 3 grams worth of dark chocolate later in the evening. Today I ate well, in that I got great nutrition, fiber and a good balance of calories.
As you can see it was a good day. My calories 1,944 and my carbs for the day 169 grams. 

No comments: