Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A grab your insulin moment: Living as a Diabetic

 The eating I did today taught me a very important lesson. If I am going to do this and can't deal with the Dieticians suggestions of cottage cheese, broiled chicken breast and a life of blandness; I am going to have to re-invent Diabetic cuisine.

Beginning tomorrow I am taking the grams and graphs with me to the store and doing a shopping. I will then begin to develop some recipes that work for the carbohydrate count and balance for the day. This graph is my nutrition and carbs since I began.


I don't want to be afraid of fruit, I want my vegetables and yes, some onions. Stay with me and look to the sugar gods as I take on this challenge.
 
I did badly at breakfast consuming 90 grams of carbohydrate. My 'best' is 45 my max is 60 and I had 90.

While the proportion was not bad (largely because of the butter)it was too many carbohydrates.

I had my coffee with goat milk, the rest of the popovers and I had a little cough I wanted to nip in the bud so I had a generous serving of chicken noodle soup. I thought I was okay because I had no fruit.

Imagine having to calculate and count every gram of carbohydrate before you eat, or end up in crisis.

At work I got busy, inventory, order preparation, and finally dinner. The dishwasher broke, the mop bucket was knocked over and flooded the kitchen and I got home late.

I realized all that I had eaten all day were three thin strips of sirloin.

I got home typically hungry, very tired and not wanting to do much. I stuffed a little beef, a lot of cabbage and a little cheese in two tortillas and threw them in the oven.

My daily carbs were 29%.

No comments: