Monday, May 7, 2012

Living as a diabetic:Eat your vegetables

What you will most notice about my eating today is that I did not: Eat my vegetables. I have to learn to stop relying on pasta and rice as vegetable delivery systems.


I wonder how much depression influences and affects those living with diabetes.

I find the guidelines hard to follow and I often want to eat in a way that would not work when maintaining blood sugar.

How hard is it for you who do this every day of your lives?

What do you experience and how do you feel. I am getting a lot of e mail and feedback @twitter and Facebook, but if any of you want to take up a little space sharing your experience, send it to me wilderkj@gmail.com and I will put it in the main portion of the column.

This morning I was grateful to have those healthy tortillas in the house. I divided one ounce of cheese (trying to cut back) between them and stuffed them with beans and salsa. I warmed a little ham and had a wonderful breakfast...of course with coffee. I don't think I can live without coffee. 

At work I was making burgers for kid, we had high quality beef, not the mad cow grocery store meat. I had one...small, 4 ounces with 1/4 of an onion and mayo on a whole wheat bun. Between the bread and the onion 24 grams of carbohydrate.

Later I FINALLY found a use for those chicken breasts. I sliced them thinly, made a rub of chili pepper, turmeric, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I allowed the chicken to absorb the spice for two hours.

With green peppers it went on the grill and became a taco in one tiny corn tortilla. I topped it with shredded cabbage and cilantro forgoing the fatty toppings.

Delicious and would meet the approval the dietician. 7 grams of carbohydrate...if I'd known I would have had two.

Make sure if you don't have a flat top grill that you get your pan smoking hot and toss and cook quickly so the chicken stays moist but browns.

After work it was a rough night with a friend going in the hospital and it was late and I had popped corn with butter for dinner with my one glass of wine. 5 cups of popped corn is 35 grams of carbohydrate and while it was not a balanced meal it was a safe choice.

For the day 1,577 calories, 111 grams of carbohydrate or 26% of my diet.



No comments: