Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Living as a Diabetic

Dear Readers,

I must apologize for not updating in a long time. To say a lot has been going on is an understatement.

Beginning on April 19th I will once again begin making a posting each day. I will be carb counting and living as if I have to balance my blood sugar at each meal.

Time to walk a mile in other shoes. (photo, San Francisco cookathon with Laurie R. King, author.)

I will be living as if I were a type II diabetic on a budget. Why? On the 19th of May I will be in Harlem doing another cookathon for the new patient education center at Harlem Hospital.

I have been engaged in a course of study to learn about what one can and can't eat when living with type 2 diabetes and it isn't easy, especially when you are poor.

This past weekend I was in Las Vegas and I realized how difficult it must be for someone with that condition to travel. At my hotel they had at the breakfast buffet and wide array of white flour and sugar for breakfast.

I visited the highly touted Coffee and found a restaurant clearly cashing in on it's reputation (NOT recommended)and they did not even have cream for coffee. A restaurant that sources excellent coffee and they had a vile chemical concoction made up from High Fructose Corn Syrup and hydrogenated fat for coffee. This, along with a wide array of corn syrup concoctions on the dining counter made me realize how incredibly difficult dining out must be for a diabetic without a lot of money.

The best way for me to understand living with diabetes is to live the experience. So live it I will.

Among my favorite foods are pasta, white rice and fruit, they are also very budget friendly. I will confess to this entire experiment being a huge personal challenge for me.

I will be asking Endocrinologist Rhonda Trousdale to periodically review this website and see where I fail and where I succeed.

Stay tuned.  

6 comments:

Mirabai said...

So glad you're back! Looking forward to useful tasty recipes to offer for my diabetic patients.

musicalprose said...

I am so happy about this blog. Many people think it is just easy as pie to live as a diabetic and not have much money. It isn't.

Karl said...

M Prose. It is anything but easy, especially when you try to stay on a budget. It is an especially difficult way to live.

Bob said...

When were you diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? I was recently diagnosed myself and it's been a challenge. I like to cook (and I've even used you recipes in the past! Duck Confit....divine!) I'll follow you blog as I need inspiration and I think you and I have similar takes on life. Bob

Karl said...

Bob,

You misread. I am living AS a diabetic and walking a mile in my brother's shoes in order to understand the unique challenges and prepare for an event. I am not a diabetic.

Bob said...

Ah! I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.