Monday, September 29, 2008

Avocado Crab Fritters



Katie is a regular reader who today sent me the most beautiful photos of herself and her daughter along with a recipe request. She wants to use up some avocado and does not want another guacomole recipe. How could I resist two such beautiful women? I pulled the fritters out of my files. I used to make these in San Francisco and they were more popular than crab cakes. San Francisco has abundant crab, but it is never cheap.

If crab is too dear these can be made with any other chopped white fish. They need to be eaten when fresh and hot and not surprisingly pair well with salsa as a dipping sauce.

Enough peanut oil for deep frying
1 cup crab
1 Avocado chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup finely diced chives
1/2 cup finely diced parsley
Roughly 1/2 cup Mayo
1 egg white stiffly beaten (peaks)
2 tablespoons of flour
1 dash of baking powder
Salt
Pepper
Bread Crumbs (Panko are nice)
Mix everything together save the Mayo, then add just enough to fully bind the ingredients. Take a small ice cream scooper and make mini meatball sized fritters and roll in the bread crumbs.

Have your oil heated to 350 and slowly and carefully place into the oil moving with chopsticks until they full brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a draining rack. (Paper towels can cause the steam to collect and make a soggy fritter.)

Delicious on their own or dipped into a bit of salsa. While summer may be over on the calender I would serve these with a crisp Rose' from the south of France. A Tavel perchance?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigosh, Karl, these fritters sound fantastic -- I love crab cakes and can't wait to try these.

(BTW, your burgers sound great, too, and I'm glad to hear someone else say he doesn't like ketchup.)

Dave, of Dave's patty pan squash

Karl said...

Dave,

Good to hear from you.

I have a lot in my mental archives and recipe requests are fun for me.

These fritters are pretty good, I may have to make them myself this weekend.