Thursday, June 19, 2008

Good Fortune Zucchini


A reader sent me an e mail describing her various methods for using zucchini and asked in the most wonderfully endearing way..."What else can we do with it". She has a profusion of zucchini in her garden and while they are small the fewer she uses now the more she will have later and it seems her neighbors are tired of grocery bags filled with the stuff.

This happens to be one of my favorite vegetables so I am going to give you a few recipes over the next couple of weeks that will expand your culinary choices.

1 baby Zucchini per person
1 clove of garlic per person
2 tablespoons of Romano cheese per person
Plenty of olive oil
A dash of salt and pepper

Thin slice both the garlic and the zucchini. Saute the garlic in the oil until it is soft then add the zucchini. When it softens and wilts hit it with a touch of salt and pepper and half the cheese, stir. Serve and top with the remaining cheese.

This is a simple and delicious preparation.

I made it for S.O. the first time I cooked for us...what can I say, we're still together. May this dish bring you good fortune as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great recipes, Karl. I have a question about patty pan squash (white bush squash). I will have a huge amount of it as it starts to mature -- I bought a packet of seeds and when so many of them germinated, I couldn't bring myself to throw them out, so I planted them all, in addition to yellow summer squash and a couple of winter squashes.

I love them the old-fashioned southern way -- breaded and fried -- but I'm trying to be healthier and also to create some variety.

I've done the oven-fried thing with them and used them in stir fry and in a red pasta sauce with peppers and onions.

Do you know this variety and do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Karl said...

Dave,

I am going to pick up some patty pan and play...I will have something for you in a day or two.