Monday, June 30, 2008

Dave's Patty Pan

After the last Zucchini post Dave sent a request for more things to do with Patty Pan squash. I happen to love this little vegetable for it's adaptable taste and beautiful shape.

I adapted S.O.'s father's eggplant preparation for this and it came out beautifully.


1 lb. Patty Pan
5 tablespoons Olive oil
12 cloves garlic finely chopped
4 tablespoons white, red wine, or apple cider vinegar
Salt
Black Pepper

Cut each squash in half through the ridges to preserve the shape. Brush cut side with olive oil and put face down on a cookie sheet. Lightly salt. Bake cut side down in hot oven (400) for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.

Meanwhile back at the stove top saute the garlic in the olive oil until it just begins to barely brown. Add the vinegar and a couple of grinds of black pepper. Remove the squash to a bowl and pour over the sauce. Toss and toss again, remove to a platter making sure you get each tiny bit of garlic and vinegar on the squash. Serve warm, or let soak in a bit and serve as a room temperature anti-pasta. If you have leftovers have it cold. This is so delicious you may become addicted. I have half a pound left to serve for a dinner tonight. I really only intended to taste and ended up eating half a pound of vinegary nuggets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!Thanks so much, Karl, you're the best.

This sounds fantastic, I can't wait to try it, thank you for going to the trouble. I sincerely appreciate it.

Dave

Karl said...

Dave.

Not a problem.

I love requests because it gives me a chance to look at things anew, and I love patty pan. The bit leftover was a big hit at dinner tonight.

Thanks to S.O. for sharing this preparation.

Anonymous said...

This is very good. I was given an oversized trombone zucchini, which I sliced crosswise in thick coins approximately the size of halved pattypans -- your recipe worked great with those. Easy, quick, & tasty. Thanks a lot!