Friday, January 15, 2010

Broccoli Tacos

Ever since my friend Alan introduced me to the
pleasure of the tortilla I have been warming the tender flour tortilla in butter and stuffing it with all manner of things. Everything is better in a tortilla.

Last night one of my neighbors came over in a panic. She had gone into labor and could not reach her mother. With her husband in the military she was alone with her 8 year old. I got Kaitlin and she hopped in a taxi to run off and have her baby.

Never ask an 8 year old 'What do you want for dinner?' Macaroni and cheese or tacos was the strong reply.

I looked in the frig, tortillas of course, cheese of course, no meat. No canned beans, nothing one might think of as taco.

I told her, 'I have broccoli.'

'So make broccoli tacos.'

How could I not have thought of it?

These turned out to be so incredibly delicious I had to share. Broccoli and cheddar have a natural affinity for one another and the entire dish was a pleasure, and a healthy one.

1 head of broccoli chopped, stem peeled and chopped as well.
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt
Chili powder

Tortillas
1/2 ounce of cheddar per tortilla
butter

Toss broccoli in olive oil with salt and a good sprinkling of chili powder. 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Warm tortillas in butter and melt a sprinkling of cheese on each one. Stuff with broccoli and sit down with your favorite 8 year old for tacos. These are so good you will find yourself making them again for the adults in your lives.

Several hours later when her Grandma came to pick her up my sleepy friend thanked me for one of the best dinners EVER!





1 comment:

Libby said...

What a wonderful idea! Leave it to the creativity of an eight year old to "think outside of the box" with food combinations.