Monday, March 23, 2009

Sustenance Food Bubble and Squeak


Before I move I have to eat everything in the refrigerator and freezer. In my house, even when there is no food, there is a feast.

I shopped for a St. Patrick's day meal I never made. I didn't have time to corn the beef so I had brisket with mashed potatoes. What do you do when you are down to cabbage, carrot, onion and potato?

You bubble and squeak, that's what you do.

1 large onion chopped
4 tablespoons fat, lard, bacon fat, I used goose fat
2 1/2 c. cooked shredded cabbage (about 1 lb.)
2 c. shredded potatoes, drained, squeeze the water out.
2 links spicy Italian sausage (bacon, or leftovers of any type work equally well.
Salt
Pepper

First shred the cabbage and steam for about 20 minutes. You don't want waterlogged boiled cabbage. Then cook your sausage, remove and save the fat, I then added a bit of goose fat, but add what you like. Next cook your potatoes until they soften and begin to brown. When that happens throw in the onion and cabbage and let bits of it brown with the potato. Stir, flip and generally make a mess of it. I did it in a wok. Hit with salt and pepper to taste and then throw in your meat.

This is comfort food, I had a bunch of it for dinner and the next day heated the rest and threw a poached egg on top for breakfast.

It's filling and sustaining and nurturing, especially if your Mother was English. (Okay, my mother was German, but they eat a lot of potatoes and cabbage as well).

No comments: