Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wines for the New Depression: Trellis Sonoma Cabernet


This one is an entry from Trader Joe's. A lot of wines at Trader Joe's are weak, watery and not worth the 5 dollar price tag. I have learned to track the code of the floor people. If they tell you a wine is 'popular' that means it is probably detestable and popular only for it's price tag.

Ask them for good solid old vine California wines and there are some good deals to be had.

Trellis Cab is everything one could ask for in a California Cab under 20.00, and it is under 6.00. It has a rich smoky flavor, nice extraction and solid but soft tannins.

It sent me right back to a Sonoma Barbecue where my friend Amanda (the BEST at finding good inexpensive wines) and her husband Tim did ribs, tamale stew and corn on the grill. A delicious afternoon topped with a lovely California red. If California Cabs are your favorite I encourage you to try this wine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard some good press around the Trellis Chard recently as well. I was hesitant to grab them as they are from the same maker (Bronco) as Two Buck Chuck. Agree that TJ's can be hit and miss but perhaps I can help. Check my blog if you are interested in my Top 10 Trader Joe's Wines. You'll also find many that I recommend staying away from... Enjoy!

Cheers,
Jason

Anonymous said...

I grabbed a bottle on my Trader Joe's tonight. I'll let you know how it goes...

Anonymous said...

I grabbed a bottle and TJ's the other night and I was very pleased. Thanks for the recommendation. Don't forget to try the Barbera Le Loggia from TJ's that I told you about. Very tasty!

Unknown said...

I drank half a bottle and it was really good. Put the cork back and and put it away. Re-opened two days later and it was spectacular..deep and rich withlots of cherry

Unknown said...

I bought a bottle and thought it was really good. Darnk half and put the cork back in. A day or two later I uncorked and it was special, full body with lots of cherry. Try it.