Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Apologies and a Mahmudiye Recipe


I must apologize to my faithful readers that I ended this week early. I will post some more budget recipes including a super soup that is nutritionally loaded.

My world exploded early this week with phone calls, meetings, interviews etc. and I just could not manage to keep tracking and posting.

 Mahmudiye
Another Turkish dish.
I was a lucky man, to be visiting Istanbul at the time of the year when every night ended with a feast as we broke fast, I probably had the best possible food in every household I was in. 
When I was told we were being served chicken with grapes my stomach did a turn. It did not sound good at all.
However Mustafa was quite excited about sharing this dish with me so being a culinary detective I asked if I might come early and watch him prepare it. 
“Yes my brother, we will make it together.” 
I have reduced his quantities as he was making it for 18 people, however the proportions are quite right and I encourage you to try this odd sounding recipe. 
Because when it comes to chicken with grapes my brother Mustafa knows his stuff. He told me that he typically makes this dish for a small crowd he uses boneless, skinless chicken cut into cubes. Feel free to bone your chicken.
I prefer it cooked on the bone, but hacked. I find a butcher who can do a Chinese duck cut for the chicken so it is in very small pieces. 1 hacked chicken serves six amply.
1 chicken cut into little pieces with or without bones, skin removed and saved
2+1 tbsp butter
30 pearl onions, peeled (Listen to Sandra Lee for once in your life and buy them frozen, they are a pain to peel)
12 dry apricots finely chopped
30 seedless grapes
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1-teaspoon cinnamon
3 ounces slivered almonds
Salt
Pepper
Saute the chicken in 2/3 of the butter in a Dutch oven. When brown add the pearl onions, the apricots, the honey, the lemon juice the broth and some salt and pepper. Put a lid on it and cook for about 40 minutes, make sure it is done. When fully cooked sprinkle on the cinnamon and stir again.
Warm the rest of the butter in a pan and toast the almonds and the grapes. Spoon the chicken to a serving dish and garnish with almonds and grapes. 
6 very nice servings at 465 calories each.

1 comment:

Bob said...

With the grapes and the honey how does this work from a diabetic perspective? I would think when you divide by 6 isn't not really that many grapes or honey per serving.

But I'm new to type II diabetes and still trying to figure out the changes in cooking that need to take place.

This sounds really good though!